Engineers originally envisioned Salem Parkway, built in 1958, as the first section of Interstate 40. After years of use, the North Carolina Department of Transportation started working on improvements to the 1.2-mile stretch of road. This $101.6 million project vastly improved safety and saved time, while prioritizing transportation options for the city of Winston Salem. Some of the updates included 10 bridge replacements, two newly constructed pedestrian bridges, a walking and biking path, extended sidewalks, and much more. NCDOT worked with residents and local groups to design various elements as part of the Parkway, including the design of the walking and biking paths and other aesthetic features. Those improvements allow the community to get where they need be, however they choose to get there, safer and faster.